Friday, January 29, 2010

Plant a Tree (2010)

Dry Bones cartoon: Tu B'Shvat 2010 new year of the trees.
I, like my cartoon alter ego M. Shuldig, get mushy in a Zionist way, at holidays in the Jewish State. Tu B'Shvat is one of those times. And so, through the years Mr. Shuldig has been picnicking on Yom Ha'Atzmaut, "dressing up" at Purim, and planting a tree on Tu B'Shvat, etc.

And then there's Doobie. Doobie is Shuldig's dog. He "balances" Shuldig. Doobie's realist/cynical view is a kind of mocking of my own (and Shuldig's) sometimes overly sugary holiday views.

* * *
. I drew this cartoon a few days ago. I thought of it as a sweet New Year of the Trees greeting card. But I just looked at it again. It seems to me that Shuldig's smile and the eager smile on the face of the sapling both reveal their thoughts about the replanting of the land. But Doobie has a different look on his face. A look that I did not consciously put there. What is he thinking?

Your thoughts?

Labels: , , , ,