Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Different Democracies

Dry Bones cartoon: Americans are divided by who they want. Israelis are united by who we don't want.
Americans are divided by who they want. Israelis are united by who we don't want. A simple concept. An easy shot.

My biggest problem in doing this cartoon was whether to use "whom they want" or "who they want". I think of the Dry Bones cartoons as little movie scripts ...which means that I have to write in spoken English ...and which means that this morning while I sat at my local cafe (where I scribble the cartoon "roughs" in a notebook) I kept mumbling to myself "whom they want, who they want, whom they want..." and trying to listen to myself to hear how the two phrases sounded.

The folks at the cafe don't mind my sometimes strange behavior.
I over-tip.

Labels: , , , , , , ,