Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Summer Heat Wave (1980)

1980 Dry Bones cartoon - Heat Wave.
Cartoonists have this problem. Sometimes when you write about a heat wave you're really talking about things like threats of war, international pressure, and folks in Sderot being under fire. Other times a heat wave is just a heat wave.

Today's Golden Oldie is from back in the summer of 1980. The heat wave was just a heat wave. No metaphors intended.

Yesterday a friend called on his mobile to tell me that he and his girlfriend were driving to the Galilee for a few days in nature. An hour later my daughter called to say that she was packing her young kids and a tent and heading off for a camping trip. Later, at lunch, a colleague explained that he was off for a few days.

To all concerned my response was the same. "In This Heat Wave?!! ..Are you crazy?!"

Yes, we're having a heat wave. And any picnic that I'd take part in would have to be right here, in my air conditioned studio!

Labels: , , , ,